Frequently Asked Questions

1. Are scholarship grants the same as Free Tuition? 

No. Scholarships grants are financial aids from donor and donor  institutions of UPOU while Free Tuition is the implementation of Republic Act 10931 known as the “Universal Access to Quality Tertiary Education Act of 2017” and its Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) which was approved and signed on 22 February 2018. It promotes universal access to quality tertiary education by providing free tuition and other school fees in State Universities and Colleges, Local Universities and Colleges and State-Run Technical-Vocational institutions.

2. How to apply for scholarship?

Check the announcement. Students may send the complete documents/requirements to [email protected] or send via  courier using the mailing address below (if necessary)

3. What are the requirements for renewal of a scholarship grant?

The scholarship grant is renewed automatically if you passed all the requirements and terms and conditions of the grant.

4. Where should I send my concerns about scholarships and financial services? 

Students may send their concerns about scholarships and financial services to [email protected]

5. Where can I send my application for refund, application for student loan and application for student/graduate assistant?

For electronic copy, students may send it directly to [email protected] or via mail thru this mailing address:

Office of Student Affairs
UP Open University, Los Banos, Laguna
Tel. no. 536-6001 to 06 loc. 344

1. What is Examination Services?  

The Examination Services is a program under the Office of Students Affairs that is responsible for the overall administration and delivery of proctored academic examinations done at a UPOU designated examination venues or online examinations. Academic examinations include midterm,finals, make-up, removal/completion, comprehensive, and validation. The Program also facilitates examination arrangements in terms of venue, examiner and/or proctor for UPOU admission tests.

2. What are the types of examinations administered in UPOU?

The types of examinations are the proctored and non-proctored examinations. Proctored examinations are either sit-down pen and paper, web-based, or online  examinations, Sit-down pen and paper and web-based examinations are both taken at a designated physical venue by all examinees under the supervision of an examiner/proctor.

In a pen and paper type of examination, the students use printed questionnaires and answer sheets. Web-based, on the other hand, are computer-based examinations where students use desktops or laptops to login into an online platform such as the Online Examination System (OES) to access the examination.

In an online proctored exam, the exam is taken at a designated time by the student under the supervision of an examiner/proctor. The student and the examiner/proctor are physically apart and exam is administered through online (double set-up). Students are required to have an external camera so they can be continuously monitored through Skype or Google Hangout.

Non-proctored exams are administered online by the Faculty in Charge (FIC) either through an online platform such as OES or through the MyPortal. Students take the exams at the time specified by the FIC.

3. Do the students have to take examination/s?

Yes, the students have to take examination/s if the course requires it. The Examination Services, however, is only responsible for the proctored exams. Non-proctored exams are under the responsibility of the Faculty in Charge (FIC).

4. Where do I take the exams?

Proctored exams are normally taken at a UPOU-accredited examination venue such as school or university, public libraries and Philippine Embassy and Consulate Offices abroad. In UPOU, students need to apply for venue of proctored exams at the start of classes until a specified period of time in order to be included in the list of examinees.

5. How do I apply for venue of proctored course examination?  

Students must check the course sites for the type of exam (proctored or non-proctored). If your course requires you to take a proctored exam, please go to the OSA website for the link.

6. Who should I contact about administration of proctored course examinations?  

Students may contact the Examination Services personnel. Inquiries for locally-based students must be directed to [email protected] c/o Ms. Glenda del Socorro and for offshore students to [email protected] c/o  Ms. Erlinda Manarin

7. When do I take my exams?

Examinations are taken during the specified schedule of exams, the dates of which are usually announced in the Course Guide. However, specific schedules (time) will be announced and posted in the MyPortal and other platforms to facilitate dissemination of the information.

8. Is there a time limit for each course exam?

Course Exams with no special instructions will follow the default time of 3 hours for graduate programs and 2 hours for undergraduate programs.  In some cases, the FIC sets the time limit which will be implemented by the Examination Services.

9. What if I missed my examination/s within the semester? 

For missed midterm exams, students will need to apply for a make-up examination while for missed final exams, students need to apply for completion exams which is scheduled in the following semester.

10. How do I apply for make up-exam?

Students will need to fill out the application form. Application for Make-up Exam can be found at this site: After accomplishing the form, student will email it to their respective Faculty Office, copy furnished the Exam Services personnel on or before the deadline for each term. The Faculty-in-Charge will be the one to approve the request. Deadlines and schedules are indicated in the academic calendar.

11. How do I apply for removal/completion exam?

Students will need to apply for removal/completion exam through their Student Portal. The deadline for application as well as the removal/completion exam date can be found in the Academic Calendar.

12. What if I transfer location before the scheduled exam?

If at the time of your exam you will be in another location other than your nominated exam venue, you will need to request for change of exam venue.

13. When should I file the application? Application should be filed

a) at least two weeks for exams to be taken in the Philippines;

b) at least three weeks for exams to be taken abroad.

Requests received after the deadlines of submission will not be processed and are automatically disapproved.

14. How will I know the results of my exams?

The results of the exams will be coming from the Faculty Offices. You  may get in touch with your respective Faculty Offices in cases where there is delay in transmitting of results.